27 May 2008

bar codes



So as most of my friends know I'm a bit obsessed with collections. More specifically the juxtaposition of like and unlike objects because the very essence of a collection completely eliminates the possibility of individuality. An object on its own does not demand the attention a collection of objects does, unless set upon a pedestal and displayed a single object on its own can go completely without notice.

I've been quietly examining this for the last 5 years with my polaroid project. I've taken hundreds of polaroids each representing something or someone that has made an impression on my life. They each have their own story. I have selected to group them into a giant collage which gives them another level of meaning. They themselves begin to form a composition. Each retains its individual story, yet one must look more carefully to uncover it.

I suppose the question I am trying to answer is what is more important. The individual story or the groups story? OR are they equally important? OR maybe it doesn't matter.

But I digress. I was recently shown the artwork of American artist Scott Blake (thanks MKL). He specializes in portraits, but uses bar codes to create pixelated collages. His subjects include the typical candidates such as Elvis, Marilyn Monroe, and Madonna, but also include Schwarzenegger, Bill Gates, and Ozzy Osbourne.

Now he doesn't just use any old bar code. He collects bar codes that are from materials relating to the celebrity subject. He's even experimenting with interactive pieces such as the Bruce Lee portrait where each bar code plays a scene from one of his movies.

To read more about Scott check out the following article from the Daily Mail UK: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1021947/Pictured-The-amazing-portraits-Elvis-Madonna-entirely-bar-codes.html

Below is Scott's portrait of the Queen of Day time Talk Oprah in bar codes. (at the top are Elvis and Madonna)


No comments: